Saturday, October 6, 2012

Reward: Easier Days in the Classroom

This idea is a spin on the Whole Brain Teaching "scoreboard" idea.  Every school year, I start with the explanation of the rules, the reasons for them, and the consequences.  Throughout the majority of my career, I have stuck to keeping rules to a minimum (just five in my class).

When I saw Ron Clark speak a few years back, I realized that maybe limiting rules to just five wasn't enough (if you're not familiar with him and his book The Essential 55 you can find the Ron Clark Academy here or Google his name).  Yes, we shouldn't have a litany of rules to remember, but we are elementary teachers; and, as you are probably aware, students are coming to us with less and less structure and even basic rules like "Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself" have to be broken down into exactly what that rule means.

With this background, I decided that I would not only review my classroom rules, but I would also go over a list of expectations I have for students to follow when in music class.  It turned out to be eleven, but that could easily change next week or next month.  Now before going on, I have to tell you, I have never, EVER been the "let's give a reward" kind of teacher.  I have always been a firm believer in intrinsic rewards for doing the right thing.  You do it because it feels good and you're supposed to do it and you will reap the benefits by doing so.  Unfortunately, our society has definitely become more focused on "what do I get if I do?" rather than "I do it because that's what I'm supposed to."  So, when in Rome...

I set up a point system and made it extremely easy to attain "the reward" these first few weeks of school.  I figured I could up the ante as the year goes on in case my children become complete angels in the process (oh yeah...when that happens, I'll let you all know!).  Since I have eleven expectations, I awarded each of my classes eleven possible points per class.  If they earned a total of 40 points during the first five weeks of school,  I would provide them with a "free day."  They seemed to like this idea.  I will say that I had a couple of classes that honestly did not deserve this reward, but in order to know what they'd be missing out on, I felt it was important that they get to experience it at least once, so I was very lenient during the first five weeks as far as awarding points.

My curriculum is intense and there is little time for "free days" (especially with all the interruptions in my class schedule that occur throughout the year).  But, I have learned:  give up the time in one chunk, or give up more time on a daily basis re-directing inappropriate or unruly behavior.  I will say, so far, it's been working.  The focus has been better (for the most part) and the retention of information seems to have increased.  The atmosphere in my class has always been "fun" but this year it seems even more so and much more relaxed.

"What is a free day?"  You may be asking.  I have stuff in my room...lots and lots of stuff.  And I pride myself on keeping it in good condition.  Therefore, a "free day" in the music room cannot mean "bedlam is allowed today."  Absolutely not!  In my school, electronic devices (iPods, iPads, cell phones, etc.) are forbidden.  I cleared it with my principal and told my 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes, "You may bring your electronics to school ONLY for music class and YOU are responsible for them..."  I teach in a high-poverty area, so I didn't know what I would see coming in...but, surprisingly, it worked out well!  I also put the stipulation of "what you do with the device must be related to MUSIC."  I made this pretty broad - to include simply listening to music.  After all, when do kids get the TIME these days to just sit and listen?

For students who didn't bring their own devices, I had a host of things set up for them to do.  They could use my electronic keyboards (with headphones) and I gave certain classes specific tasks to accomplish with them.  I had "Music ACE" set up on my desktop computer, I had Quavermusic.com set up on my laptop, and I had a Belkin Rockstar hooked up to my iPad so students could play with music apps like Garage Band, Instruments, Recorder Master, and Piano Dust Buster.  The Rockstar allows 5 sets of headphones to be connected to one device, thus creating a "listening center" in the classroom.

I was slightly concerned embarking on this during the past week.  I envisioned unfocused children moving from place to place, getting into trouble with each other, broken equipment, very little learning happening...and the nightmares went on.  I am happy to report, there was not a single incident.  My students stayed focused and after each class we had a discussion about how enjoyable it was.  I reiterated "THIS is what you are working toward when you earn points during music class..."  They agreed it was something they'd like to do again.

Here are few "candid moments" from the week:

Five students working on "Piano Dust Buster" using the Belkin Rockstar headphone splitter (white object on the floor).

Two girls blast note values in Quaver's Arcade on quavermusic.com (accounts are free with an email address!)

A third grade boy shares his own iPad with two fellow students.

Until next week...

3 comments:

  1. What do you envision the Reward Day would look like (or have you already done it) with K-2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My K-2 students have a reduced class period (most are 30 minutes - 2nd grade is 40 minutes). Because of this, I keep the reward point system for my upper grades only. Often, simple rewards ("awesome tickets," a word to the teacher how well the class went, stickers, etc. is adequate). If you find you need an entire reward day for students at this age, I would suggest a day of fun activities the students enjoy - dances they like to do, IWB games, singing games like "London Bridge" or similar, instrument activities they may enjoy, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a "Share Your Music" day with my kids (K-3) after they have earned a certain number of "3 star" days. That is, I have caught them being good 3 times during the class period. Shared music must be squeaky clean, approved by a parent and previewed by me. The kids LOVE the opportunity to tell why they like this music, where they first heard it, etc. I've had to ask for a different song from a few kids, (No, Beastie Boys is not appropriate!), but for the most part, I get fun kid songs and Disney type songs.

    ReplyDelete