Saturday, September 1, 2012

Living the Untethered Life

Okay, after promising, I'm delivering.  This week's post is technology-related.  Some have asked, talked about, or imagined (yes, I can read all of your minds, so be careful what you think) regarding wireless hookup from your iPod, iPad, or what have you to your amplification source.

When I received my textbook series seven or eight years ago, it came with an iPod (the old "fat boy" as some call it).  It's a 20GB white one and I still used it up until the end of last year.  About four years ago when the battery started to lose its ability to hold a charge very long, I purchased a Nano with school funds.  I don't know about you guys, but for the classroom that Nano (the rectangular one - not the new one) was just too small for classroom applications and even ended up being "borrowed" at one point (thankfully it was relocated and returned).

I went back to the "fat boy" last year.  I found a sweet deal on Amazon for a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver that was made exclusively for this older model of iPod (hence the $20 price tag I'm assuming).  It was GREAT...until...it just plain stopped working.  Horrible interference, static, etc.  So I went back to the ole plug-it-in-and-run-back-and-forth method.

In addition to the iPod, the textbook series included this AMAZING playdock from Cambridge Soundworks (sadly, it's no longer available - but it truly is awesome and when I looked it up back then, it was only $99!).  It truly has amazing sound and still works great AND works without being plugged in when you want to be on-the-go.  It uses the same lead-acid batteries that house alarms use.  Replacements cost around thirty bucks at Radio Shack.  I've replaced mine three times in the past seven years. 

This past summer, I decided I had fallen too much in love with being free to control my classroom recordings from anywhere in the room.  I liked not having to dart with the skill of an Olympic hurdler when an announcement came over the PA system, a person walked in to ask a question (I refuse to talk over the music), or if I just needed to stop the music to say "Let's try that again."  Additionally, I had just treated myself to the "new" iPad.  The one I had was the original.  After a few lame attempts to sell the original (my heart just wasn't in it I guess), I decided to keep it and I would use it exclusively in my classroom - mainly for playing music.  I made this decision mainly because, unlike the two iPods currently located in my music room, the iPad had the ability to connect with Bluetooth devices.  I can tell you now, controlling recorded music from the iPad is a billion times better than from an iPod.  I just keep mine on a music stand near the front of the room where I can grab it and/or walk around with it - much faster to navigate through music.  I create new playlists every week for each grade level, but sometimes I need to find "that song" and it's just better doing a quick search using the iPad than clicking through a scroll wheel on an iPod or even fumbling with an iPod touch.

I located the "WCI Quality Bluetooth Receiver with 3.5mm Stereo Output" on Amazon (could they give it a longer name?).  I was skeptical - mainly because it was only $29.99.  It arrived quickly, but I tucked it away with the old iPad to take in when the new school year started.  In two words:  it's perfect!

The unit is TINY.  It is very easy to pair with the iPad.  Once you have charged it up, hold the "on" button for about 10 seconds until it starts to flash according to the instructions.  This will put it into "discover" mode.  If you are not familiar with pairing your iPad or other device via Bluetooth, you can find step-by-step instructions here http://www.ehow.com/how_6194904_pair-bluetooth-device-ipad.html

The only other thing I needed to hook mine up was a 3.5mm coupler (female to female) so I could plug the Bluetooth receiver into my playdock (less than $5 at Radio Shack).  If you're hooking yours up to a sound system in another fashion, be sure you gather the appropriate cable or coupler before hand.  The receiver has a 3.5mm plug extending from it.

This little thing can stay on for an entire school day without running out of juice.  If you'd like to leave yours plugged in, you can; however, I noticed when I took this option, there was an annoying electronic hum whenever music was not playing.  I elected to simply turn my fully charged and unplugged receiver on before my first class, off at lunch time, back on for the afternoon, then disconnect it from the playdock and plug it in to charge it after school.

My only complaint so far is the charging cable - and this is a very minor complaint.  It has an end that I can only assume is proprietary - not a standard mini USB or other type plug.  Like the unit itself, the plug is tiny.  The other end is a USB connector (not an outlet plug) so you'll need to be sure you have a USB charging plug.  If you have an iPad or iPod, you already have one.  Or, if you're like me, you have several.


 My receiver plugged into the playdock.  Notice the 3.5mm coupler between the dock and the receiver.  The thin cord you see under the dock to the left is the power cord for it - very tiny!

If you try this out, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how it worked out for you.

Until next week...



No comments:

Post a Comment