Saturday, September 15, 2012

There's No Hidin' Place (or is there?)

This week's post is a combo - crafty classroom tip and technology-related! 

I have a bunch (I mean a LOT) of books from my previous textbook series.  At the time I received the new text series all those years ago, I asked what to do with the old books.  I was advised "throw them out or give them away and keep a reference copy."  The thrifty cheapskate in me refuses to let them go.  Oh, I do use them on rare occasions, but seriously - I don't think I need 40 copies of each book taking up space in my room.  Yet, they do!

Since I have started using my personal "old" iPad (the original iPad) as the sole source for controlling recorded music in my classroom via Bluetooth, I wanted an extra level of security for keeping it safe.  I have two doors to my classroom - this means if I need to run to the library or the office or the restroom, and if I want my equipment to be completely secure, I lock one, then I have to run across the room and lock another as I exit.  People reading this blog are teachers, and you know every second counts in your school day, so sometimes I just can't be locking and unlocking doors with my precious time.  Security is an issue because of the amount of "stuff" located in my beloved room.

I noticed the old textbooks (Silver-Burdett "The Music Connection") are almost exactly the size of the iPad.  Since I have a plethora, why not try to use one as a camouflage case?  I chose the book whose pages were in the worst shape.


The process is simple.  The old "hide it inside a book" technique BUT...you need to be aware, the iPad is almost exactly the size and thickness of this book, so you need to know a couple of things if you're going to try this:

1)  You're going to need to trim almost ALL of the pages out.
2)  For the best camouflage job, you'll probably want to leave the tops of the pages in tact (plus, this makes the process much, MUCH easier).

I cut all of the pages out by running a craft knife down the inside spine of the book, leaving about ½-inch of page at the tops.  This takes some patience - you have to run the knife over the pages many times to get through all of them.  Then, the tiny amount of the pages that is left, you'll need to secure.  Since the only thing that needs to look "real" is the very top, I just used regular cellophane tape:


This leaves just enough room for the iPad to fit inside the book.


Now when I need to make a quick trip out of the classroom, I put the iPad in the book and tuck it away on the shelf so if anyone should happen to find themselves in the music room, temptation to "borrow" will not present itself.


Just a word of warning - the iPad is not exactly secure when in this cover - so be sure to "squeeze" the book together when removing the book from the shelf.  You don't want your investment accidentally dropping to the floor!

Until next week...

1 comment:

  1. The sad this is... the book that you cut up is the only 5th grade textbook we have at one of my schools... they refuse to replace the books because 'they can't afford it.'

    ReplyDelete